Sunday, May 27, 2007

#23: Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump in Forrest Gump (1994)


I remember watching this film all the time at my friends house, but it wasn't until this year, in history, I learned all the historical signifigance and the underlying meaning of some of the things in this film. I never relized Forrest called in the Watergrate Break-in, that he invented the "Shit Happens" bumper sticker, the Viet Cong being referred to as Charlie. All these things were pased me because I was just a kid, but viewing it now, I relized how amazing Hanks's performance was.

Everybody knows what Forrest Gump is about so I'm not going to waste my time saying the plot and the just of the film. Tom Hanks was brilliant as a mentally challeneged man who is always looking for the love of his life, Jenny (Robin Wright Penn), and is always just living life and falling into obstacles and not relizing the historical signifigance of them. He was a football star, a ping pong champion, a Congressional Medal of Honor Winner, and a spirtual leader of running for miles and miles. His Alabama accent mixed with a slow attitude towards it was amazing. His looks and his release of the line "My momma always said life was like a box of chocolates" was unforgetable and Forrest's character depth was mezmorizing. He was spectacular in this film and won his well deserved Oscar in 1994.

No comments: